IMS Global provides development resources and a series of tests to check both digital resources and software for conformance. The conformance certification tests are based upon the requirements indicated in a specification. IMS Conformance testing is available for the Accessible Portable Item Protocol® (APIP®), Caliper Analytics®, Common Cartridge®, Learning Tools Interoperability® (LTI®), LTI Advantage, Interactive Whiteboard/Common File Format, Learning Information Services, Question and Test Interoperability® (QTI®) , Thin Common Cartridge® (Thin CC®), and OneRoster® standards.
Why Become IMS Certified?
- Buyers trust IMS as the neutral arbiter of truly interoperable products and content
- IMS certification designates passing a set of tests that will guarantee interoperability across the widest range of integrations - across a growing range of hundreds of certified products
- Certification requires extensive testing and is much better than claims of “compliance"
- The IMS Certification process connects your organization to a community of technical resources making implementation of the standard easier
- IMS certification provides a specific registration number for a product to be used in responses to requests for proposals
- IMS certified products are backed by IMS technical support to troubleshoot any technical issues that may occur
- Organization achieving IMS certification can use the IMS certification logo in product and general marketing
- The IMS certification Alliance community provides continuous updates and involvement in the evolution of the standard and conformance testing
- Certification is included as a benefit of IMS membership: any number of products can be certified at no additional cost for each Alliance category or most categories for Aﬃliate or all categories for Contributing Members of IMS
- The IMS website provides high-traffic marketing exposure as the authoritative source for IMS certified products
In summary, participation in the IMS certification process is the most cost-effective way to achieve product integrations while providing assurances to buyers that the education industry will be the best it can be in terms of open innovation well into the future. When your organization becomes certified you receive all the benefits of becoming connected as a member of the world's most influential technical consortium leading the future of educational technology innovation and Learning Impact.
All of the conformance certification tests are run and completed by the individual organization, IMS does not conduct the testing. Once completed, results are then submitted to IMS for review. Upon approval, you will be sent details on how to complete the certification, which includes submitting details about your product, organization, and other information to help potential customers learn more about your product(s).
By completing and submitting the results form, you are agreeing that these test results are an accurate representation of a properly executed certification testing process and that the document is a true and accurate representation of the results of that process.
Key Points For Suppliers:
- There is no charge for running the test. You can run the test as many times as you want, against as many of your products as you want, as long as you are an IMS Member. You can find various membership options to suit your needs.
- Contributing Members can test against any IMS Standard. Affiliate members may test against most of the standards, specifically, Common Cartridge, Learning Tools Interoperability, Question and Test Interoperability, OneRoster, Learning Information Services, Open Badges and Caliper Analytics. Alliance members may only test against the standards covered in their Alliance. For instance, if you are a Learning Tools and Content Alliance Member, you can test against Learning Tools Interoperability, Common Cartridge, and Thin Common Cartridge.
- Certifications expire after one year and must be re-run. Certifications also expire if your organization does not maintain your IMS Membership. Find more information on re-certification.(members only link)
- Once IMS confirms successful completion of conformance, you may display the IMS Certification logo on your website and in marketing materials according to the IMS Global Conformance Certification Process, Trademark Usage and Communications Policy.(members only link)
- By gaining IMS conformance certification, you agree to work with IMS to resolve any conformance related issues brought forth by users of your certified product(s).
Key Points for End-Users:
- You should always check to ensure that your suppliers have an active, current IMS conformance certification. Seriously, check it.
- If you have trouble with one of your supplier's IMS conformance certifications, we are here to help you and the supplier figure out the problem. Just contact us.
- There are several different levels of conformance to IMS standards. You should ensure that your suppliers support the level of compliance (including any optional features) that match your needs. We can help you figure out what you need to achieve your interoperability goals. Start by using the IMS recommended baseline for different product categories.
When you are ready to start testing your products, members should review the resources and links in Development, Testing, and Conformance Central (members only link)